317 West 2nd Street
Site of Bingham Cabin 1850s -1953
1850s map of Bingham Fort on W 2nd Street; red marks site of Erastus Bingham cabin, fort tithing house, today’s crosswalk and monument. Bingham family members lived in the cabin until the 1880s, Mills family members until 1910 and Stone family members until the 1950s. 1911 photo: Chauncey and Edna Stone lived in the Bingham cabin from 1910 to 1925. 1929 photo: Left: Bingham 1870s granary with a garage in front; Center: Erastus Bingham 1850s cabin; Right: Thomas Mills 1910 barn. 1950 circa photo: Clyde and Macel Stone Montgomery lived in the Bingham Fort cabin from 1940 to 1953. About 1950, Ogden Mayor Raymond Wright (pictured) convinced them to preserve the Bingham cabin in a museum; the cabin had been on West 2nd Street for 100 years. 1953 photo of Montgomery children on steps of Bingham cabin.
Clyde & Macel Stone Montgomery House at 317 W 2nd Street, 1953
1953: Clyde Montgomery completed building their new brick house and the family vacated the cabin and moved into the new house. It was exactly one-hundred years since the beginning of Bingham Fort in 1853. 1954: The 100-year-old Bingham Fort Cabin was propped up on a trailer bed and moved to a museum (left); in 2022 the cabin stands in Pioneer Village at Lagoon, Farmington, Ut (right). 1958: Montgomery House at 317 W 2nd St. after the Bingham Fort Cabin was moved to a museum. 2022: Montgomery House at 317 W 2nd Street. Sign placed near the site of the Bingham Cabin.
Clyde Montgomery and Macel Stone, daughter of John Stone, married in 1930 and moved onto the Stone Farm in 1940, living in the Bingham Fort Cabin for thirteen years. In 1953 they moved into their new house built by Clyde located directly east of the cabin. Clyde had two jobs: he worked at Hill Air Force Base as a glazier and farmed 16-acres of the Stone farm that Macel inherited from her father.
As late as the 1940s, Clyde continued to plow with a team of horses. In 1949 he bought a tractor that is still in use. One of his biggest crops was alfalfa hay. He cut, raked and baled the hay and sold it to customers who picked it up in the field. During the 1980 drought in the Midwest, cattle were starving so Clyde donated a large stack of bailed hay to help feed them. He also grew peas, tomatoes, wheat and barley and raised chickens, pigs and cows.
The idea to attach the old Bingham granary to their new house originated with Macel. She preserved the granary and the old Mills barn in addition to many artifacts. Macel and Clyde had six children.
Photo 1953: Clyde and Macel Montgomery pictured inside the Bingham cabin with four of their six children.
The Erastus Bingham Granary, 1870s
Photo 1915: Erastus Bingham had the granary built in the 1870s with orange bricks, or burnt bricks, from the Gates Adobe Mill; Erastus Bingham and Sam Gates were longtime friends; the granary was a two-level with a three-foot rock foundation to keep the rain from splashing on the bricks; pictured is Edna Stone’s brother, Noman Kent. Photo 2004: The Bingham 1870s granary was attached to the rear of the Montgomery house in 1953 when Clyde built his house; in 2004 the house and granary were listed with Stone Farm on the National Register of Historic Places.